How does a company that started as a simple mom and pop storefront in 1956 build a following of loyal customers from coast to coast, willing to travel miles for a taste of its submarine sandwiches? For starters, it provides a delicious, authentic product that remains true to its origins. Then, it builds a committed franchise system that understands the value of excellence and friendly service. And finally, it never forgets to give back to the communities that support it. That’s the story of Jersey Mike’s.
Jersey Mike’s, a fast-casual sub sandwich franchise with more than 1,300 locations open and under development nationwide, believes that making a sub sandwich and making a difference can be one and the same. Jersey Mike’s offers a Sub Above, serving authentic fresh sliced/fresh grilled subs on freshly baked bread – the same recipe it started with in 1956. The model seems to be working. In just three years, Jersey Mike’s has nearly doubled in size. Here are a few highlights:
• Named the #1 fastest growing chain in the Nation’s Restaurant News 2014 Top 100.
• A top five fastest-growing restaurant chain with sales above $200 million, according to Technomic’s 2014 annual report on the top U.S. restaurant organizations.
• Named a favorite Top Fast-Casual Restaurant in a 2014 Consumer Reports survey.
The Secret of Our Success
Some say the secret to our success is in the sauce – our signature olive oil blend, red wine vinegar and spices – but we know it’s more than that. Our subs are authentic and fresh, served up with a helping of neighborly banter from our dedicated and high-energy team. Now that’s a combo that’s hard to resist!
• Jersey Mike’s offers authentic fresh sliced/fresh grilled subs served Mike’s Way® with the freshest vegetables – onions, lettuce, tomatoes – and there’s The Juice – an exquisite zing of red wine vinegar and olive oil blended to perfection.
• We use only premium meats and cheeses sliced on the spot and piled high on delectable bread that’s baked fresh in the restaurants throughout the day.
• Our Certified Angus Beef top rounds are trimmed, tied and cooked right in the store.
• Everything is quickly made to order for each customer, just the way the first subs were made at the original Jersey Mike’s nearly 60 years ago.
• We are honored to win best sub awards in virtually every market we enter.
• Mike’s Subs opened as a storefront location in the seaside town of Point Pleasant, N.J. in 1956. It offered unparalleled service and exceptional quality submarine sandwiches, which were a new concept at the time.
• Because of its location on the Jersey Shore it grew quickly in popularity among the thousands of surf and sun seekers from New York to Philadelphia to Washington, D.C.
• By the early 1970s Mike’s Subs was a thriving landmark famous for its lively and friendly service and its fresh, quality submarine sandwiches.
• In 1975, Peter Cancro, a 17-year-old high school senior who had worked for Mike’s Subs since he was 14 and loved the business, bought the operation with the help of his football coach. At the time, Peter wasn’t even old enough to legally slice a sub.
• Over the next decade, Peter opened two other local Mike’s Subs stores and built on the cult-like following that Mike’s Subs already enjoyed.
• In 1987, Peter began franchising the Mike’s concept. He changed the name to Jersey Mike’s Subs to capture the authenticity of the original store. Today, Peter is CEO of Jersey Mike’s Franchise Systems, Inc., headquartered in Manasquan, NJ. Peter was named the 2013 International Franchise Association’s “Entrepreneur of the Year” as well as a 2013 Golden Chain Award Winner by Nation’s Restaurant News.
• Jersey Mike’s Subs continues its steady expansion throughout the country, recently opening its 37th market in Iowa, and is now in most major metro areas including Chicago, Manhattan and Washington, DC. With more than 100 restaurants in California and many more on the way throughout the nation, authentic Jersey Mike’s subs are now available literally coast to coast.
“Giving…making a difference in someone’s life” has always been a guiding principle at Jersey Mike’s. It’s a philosophy that Jersey Mike’s Founder and CEO, Peter Cancro, has emphasized to each and every Jersey Mike’s store owner: support the community that supports you. Since 2010, locations throughout the country have raised nearly $10 million for local charities and distributed more than 750,000 free sub sandwiches to help numerous causes. Here are some examples:
• In March 2014, Jersey Mike’s celebrated its 4th Annual “Month of Giving,” a national fundraising campaign, raising $2.1 million for 100+ local charities. Since the program started four years ago, Jersey Mike’s and its generous customers have raised more than $5 million.
• In 2013, Jersey Mike’s 4th annual national awareness and fundraising campaign raised more than $300,000 for Wreaths Across America (WAA), helping the nonprofit organization lay hundreds of thousands of remembrance wreaths at the headstones of the nation’s veterans during the holiday season.
• In 2013, Jersey Mike’s raised $280,000 for local community partners including high schools, hospitals and other worthy organizations as part of fundraisers to celebrate the openings of 140 new locations across the country.
For more information, please visit www.jerseymikes.com. Come see us soon!