Building Document Portal

Permit Office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Address Map
Affidavit for POS (Exterior Inspection Violations)
Application for Hearing before the Macedonia Planning Commission
Basic Pool Requirements
BZA Application Packet [2020]
Change of Occupancy Permit Application
Commercial Construction/Additions/Alterations Permit Application
Contractor Registration 2020
Deck and Porch Information
Electrical Permit Application
Engineering/Driveways/Waterproofing Application
Exterior Inspection Application
Fence Application & Neighbor Signature Sheet
Hydrant Permit Application
Mechanical Permit Application
Permanent Sign Permit Application
Planning Commission Application Packet [2020]
Plumbing Permit Application
Residential Zoning Application- Sheds/Decks/Pools/Fence
Residential New Construction/Additions/Alterations Application
Storage Shed Information
Temporary Outdoor Sales and Display Application
Zoning Map
Temporary Sign Application 30 Days

A permit is a license granting legal permission to construct, enlarge, alter, repair or demolish a structure, or install, alter or repair electrical, mechanical, or plumbing systems located within a structure. Permits are required for most construction including, but not limited to the following:

* New construction * Additions * Alterations * Demolitions
* Electrical, mechanical and plumbing installation and/or repairs
* Detached garages * Patio enclosures * Decks * Fences * Sheds
* Swimming pools * Concrete and asphalt – new and replacement

Your project may require more than one permit depending on the scope of work being performed. If you have any questions about whether or not a permit is required, contact the Building Department at (330) 468-8360. Securing a permit assures you that each phase of the construction will be inspected for safety and code compliances. When applying for a permit, construction drawings and an application form must be submitted for review with the Building Department. Permit fees may be required upfront. The review period depends upon the scope of work.

The City of Macedonia does not require permits for the replacement of  siding or windows; however, your contractor must be registered with the City of Macedonia for the current year prior to performing any work.

Sewer permits can be obtained from the Summit County Department of Environmental Services at (330) 926-2435.

Water permits can be obtained from the City of Cleveland Water Department at (216) 664-2444.


Please be reminded that when hiring a contractor to do any type of work on your property, the contractor is required to be registered with the City of Macedonia. Contractors can get registration information on our website or pick up a packet from the Building Department. Please feel free to call (330) 468-8363 or (330) 468-8364 if you would like a list of contractors that are already registered.

City of Macedonia Noxious Weeds Ordinance—- Section 909.04

Please be advised of Noxious Weeds Ordinance this year.
Click here to review Ordinance


Macedonia requires a point of sale inspection be performed before title transfer on any property within the City. The inspection is exterior only and we do not require someone be present for the inspection. You (or your realtor) will be required to fill out the Exterior Inspection Application (see application listed above). Any violations resulting from the inspection must be repaired within ninety days or assumed by the buyer. Inspections for residential properties cost $75 and commercial properties cost $150.

GARAGE SALES: You are not required to obtain a permit to hold a garage sale. However, City Ordinance allows garage sale signs be posted on your property only. If signs are found on utility poles, street corners, or anywhere other than your front yard you may be cited for littering.

HOMES FOR SALE: If your home is for sale, you are allowed one for sale sign on your property. The sign is to be located in your front yard and must be at least 25 feet from the street.

VEHICLES FOR SALE: Vehicles for sale are to be parked in your driveway. Vehicles parked in the front yard or tree lawn are prohibited.

BOATS, RV’S, TRAILERS, AND JET SKIS: These are not front yard items and are to be parked in rear or side yards only.

RUBBISH: Rubbish is not to be placed at the curb before 5:00 PM the evening before your scheduled pickup. Rubbish cans should be brought in no later than the evening of your designated pickup day.