January 16, 2020
The Council of the City of Macedonia is accepting resumes for the part-time position of Clerk of Council. Responsibilities include a wide variety of administrative and secretarial duties in administering the City Council office. Job duties include, but are not limited to: Attending twice-monthly Council meetings to call roll, take minutes, read ordinances and record votes; conducting research on behalf of Council; assisting in or preparing meeting agendas; processing legislation; keeping the Council calendar and performing all clerical-related duties pertaining to City Council. Superior oral and written communication skills, computer skills and organizational skills required. The Clerk must be self-motivated, un-biased and conduct themselves in a professional manner.
At a minimum, candidates must have at least a high school diploma or GED and 5 years previous experience. The prior experience must have been gained in an office administrative position having significant involvement with governmental affairs, local or policies or politics, procedures, and operations. An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the skills and abilities necessary to perform the position may also be accepted. Municipal Clerk Certification (CMC) from the Ohio Municipal Clerks Association is preferred but not required.
This is a non-exempt position. Hourly pay range is $14.71-$27.03 per hour with potential benefits package. Job hours are flexible. Qualified applicants may submit a resume with a letter of interest via e-mail to Council President Jan Tulley, email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until 4 p.m. on Friday, February 7, 2020. For a full job description, please see below.
City of Macedonia
Job Description – Clerk of Council
Job Title: Clerk of Council
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Bargaining Unit: None
General Description of Work: The Clerk of Council provides clerical and administrative support to Macedonia City Council, and performs additional duties as assigned.
Supervision Received: Receives direct supervision from the Council President
Schedule: Regular business hours and City Council meetings, and overtime as needed or directed.
Required Minimum Qualifications: Requires at least a high school education and at least five (5) years of previous experience in an office administration position involving significant experience with government, legal or political policies, procedures and operations, or an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the skills and abilities necessary to perform the job. An individual who poses a threat to himself/herself or others in the workplace is deemed not qualified for the job.
Preferred Certifications: Municipal Clerk Certification from the Ohio Municipal Clerks Association.
Primary Duties: (includes estimated % of time spent on function; essential functions are identified by *)
- Administrative Support (60%)
- Serves as liaison between Council members, Council President, Mayor and members of administration*
- Attends City Council meetings, conducts roll call, reads minutes and ordinances, records votes and takes minutes*
- Transcribes meeting minutes, distributes drafts, makes revisions, distributes and posts final minutes*
- Advises Council on pertinent regulations to ensure meetings are conducted in compliance with statutory rules, Sunshine Laws, Council rules and City charter*
- Coordinates meetings as needed between citizens, Council members and representatives of Mayor’s Administration*
- Represents the President of Council at various meetings in his/her absence
- Assists President in researching, preparing and monitoring annual budget for Council office*
- Maintains calendar of Council activities*
- Assists Council in various special projects; researches information, collates data, prepares and distributes reports as needed*
- Clerical Support (35%)
- Performs routine office procedures including filing, typing, and faxing, copying, creating original forms and documents, drafting correspondence, generating original and form letters, completing routine forms and processing mail*
- Performs various data entry and word processing duties as needed to maintain all department records and prepare reports*
- Performs receptionist duties for Council office; answers telephone, takes messages, routes calls, responds to inquiries and concerns, and researches issues as needed*
- Performs routine processes for purchasing, payroll and budgetary procedures*
- Processes legislation; collects proposed ordinances, assigns order numbers, duplicates/posts/distributes ordinances to Council and Administration, collects signatures on approved legislation and ensures legislative actions are recorded accurately and in a timely fashion*
- Prepares bi-weekly meeting agendas and supporting documentation; collates, prepares, posts and distributes documentation in accordance with pertinent regulations*
- Types, prepares, posts and processes certified mailings, advertisements, legal and public notices and other documentation to ensure procedures are in compliance with pertinent regulations*
- Coordinates public advertisements with local media representatives*
- Miscellaneous (5%)
- Attends training and meetings as needed or directed*
- Performs various miscellaneous duties as needed or directed*
- Assists Council members as needed with special projects; researches, compiles, prepares and presents information as needed or requested*
* Denotes an essential function of the job
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures
- Knowledge of City Council office procedures and practices*
- Knowledge of City of Macedonia and municipal legislative process*
- Knowledge of City of Macedonia codified ordinances*
- Knowledge of legal document preparation, requirements and methods
- Knowledge of Sunshine Laws, City Charter, Council rules and applicable statutory rules for Council meetings
- Knowledge of appropriate business English and grammar
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Macedonia City Council members, City employees, public officials and the public
- Ability to perform routine office procedures including typing, filing, answering telephone and operating standard office equipment
- Ability to compose routine letters, documents, news releases or articles
- Ability to provide effective reception skills and respond effectively to irate or difficult persons
- Ability to take notes, transcribe recordings of meetings, prepare and maintain accurate records and reports
- Ability to operate word processing and database software programs
- Ability to proofread and edit documents for content, grammar and spelling
- Ability to maintain accurate, current and complete records
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to see, hear, sit and speak clearly
The job is performed in a typical office setting where the employee is not generally exposed to environmental conditions.