AKRON, OHIO – Summit County Fiscal Officer Kristen M. Scalise CPA, CFE would like to remind property owners that first half 2020 real estate taxes are due on Friday, February 26, 2021, with the exception of military personnel. Property taxes are deferred for military reservists who are on active duty. Applications can be obtained by calling 330-643-2641 or visiting our website at http://fiscaloffice.summitoh.net.
There are several convenient ways for property owners to make payment. Please note that due to COVID-19, some options have been modified to ensure the health and safety of taxpayers.
- In person: The Fiscal Office has temporarily opened to accept in-person real estate tax payments through March 5th, from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Drop Box Location: Taxpayers can submit tax payments via check or money order by using the drop box located on the 4th Floor of the Ohio Building at 175 S. Main St. in downtown Akron during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Cash payments are not preferred in the Drop Box.
- By mail: Mailed payments must be U.S. postmarked by February 26, 2021 to avoid the statutory 10% penalty for late payment. A private meter is not valid for establishing the date of payment.
- Online or by phone: Tax bills can be paid online or by phone through a secure payment service provided by Official Payments Corporation. Taxpayers will need their parcel number on-hand. A nominal service fee will be charged by Official Payments Corporation if paying via debit or credit card, or a $1 fee if paying via electronic check. To pay taxes online or by phone, go to https://fiscaloffice.summitoh.net/index.php/on- line-tax-payments.
- At banks that participate in the Regional Tax Collection System: A list of participating banks is included on the tax bill. Please note the bank branch must be located in Summit County. Please contact the bank directly for questions about accessibility.
Assistance is available to taxpayers who have been impacted by COVID-19. The Tax Installment Payment (T.I.P.) Plan can help property owners who are unable to make payment by the due date. Enrollment allows property owners to avoid late payment penalties. The deadline to enroll in the T.I.P. Plan is the tax due date on February 26, 2021.
To qualify, parcels must be current on real estate taxes. Parcels with outstanding delinquencies, tax liens, or a current delinquent tax contract are ineligible.
Taxpayers who are interested in enrolling in the T.I.P. Plan must contact the Fiscal Office to establish a contract specific to their needs. For more information about the T.I.P. Plan, please call 330-643-2869 or 330-643-2588.
Assistance is also available to property owners who have outstanding delinquent real estate taxes. The Delinquent Tax Payment Program offers help to those who have fallen behind on real estate tax payments. By entering into a written delinquent tax contract, property owners will establish a monthly payment and unpaid taxes will not be subject to further penalty or interest. For more information about the Delinquent Tax Payment Program or to schedule an in-person meeting to set up a payment contract, please call 330-643-2600.
Ohio law states that it is the responsibility of the property owner to obtain and pay their tax bill on time. To request a copy of your tax bill, please call 330-643-2588. Tax bills can also be downloaded from our website at http://FiscalOffice.summitoh.net.