Akron, Ohio, January 21, 2021 – Summit County Fiscal Officer Kristen M. Scalise CPA, CFE reminds dog owners that the last day to purchase a 2021 Summit County dog license is Sunday, January 31, 2021. Ohio Revised Code requires residents who own, keep, or harbor a dog more than three months of age to purchase and maintain a current dog license.
The cost for a single year license is $18.00, a three-year license is $54.00, and a permanent/lifetime license is $180.00. Owners who fail to renew their license by the deadline will be subject to a statutory late penalty of $18 per dog.
Dog owners should be advised that the United States Post Office is currently experiencing large volumes of mail and frequent delays, which may impact registration and payment deliveries.
Mailed registration forms and payments must be U.S. postmarked by January 31, 2021 to avoid the statutory late penalty.
Dog owners are encouraged to take advantage of our online registration for dog and kennel licensing. You may purchase your dog or kennel license online by credit card or electronic check. Online purchases are subject to a nominal service fee through the service provider, Official Payments. For more information, please visit http://FiscalOffice.summitoh.net.
“Maintaining a current dog license helps your pet return home quickly if it is ever lost or runs away,” Fiscal Officer Kristen M. Scalise said. “When a resident finds a dog, they can enter its license tag number into our online database to locate its home. The database can be conveniently accessed by cell phone, device, or personal computer at http://FiscalOffice.summitoh.net”.
Kennel owners must also renew their licenses by Sunday, January 31, 2021. The cost is $80 per license. Dogs providing assistance to those with disabilities may be eligible for a license free of charge. Assistance dog licenses will remain valid throughout the animal’s life.
License registration forms are available to download and print from the Fiscal Office’s website at http://FiscalOffice.summitoh.net. Owners may submit their registration and payment by mail to the Summit County Fiscal Office, Services Department, 1030 E. Tallmadge Avenue, Akron, Ohio 44310.
Single year dog licenses may be purchased in person at the following neighborhood locations. Please note that nongovernmental vendors charge a $0.75 per license processing fee. Please visit our website for phone numbers of the following neighborhood locations. Dog owners are advised to call first before visiting these establishments, as some locations may not be open to the public due to COVID-19.
- Bath Veterinary Clinic, 1735 N. Cleveland Massillon Rd., Akron, OH 44333
- Camp Bow Wow, 1403 Main St., Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221
- Copley Feed & Supply, 1468 S. Cleveland Massillon Rd., Copley, OH 44321
- Cuyahoga Falls BMV, 650 Graham Rd., Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221
- Ellet License Bureau, 2420 Wedgewood Dr., Tallmadge, OH 44312
- Fairlawn BMV, 2955 Market St., Fairlawn, OH 44333
- Hudson Hardware, 5824 Darrow Rd., Hudson, OH 44236
- Humane Society of Summit County, 7996 Darrow Rd., Unit 30, Twinsburg, OH 44087
- Northeast Ohio Auto Dealers Association, 688 Wolf Ledges Pkwy., Akron, OH 44311
- Northfield License Bureau, 10333 Northfield Rd., Northfield, OH 44067
- One of a Kind Pet Rescue, 1929 W. Market St., Akron, OH 44313
- One of a Kind Pet Rescue Spay, 1700 W. Exchange St., Akron, OH 44313
- Pet Supplies Plus, 2789 W. Market St., Fairlawn, OH 44333
- Pet Supplies Plus, 3100 Manchester Rd., Akron, OH 44319
- Quick Clean Car & Pet Wash, 2500 Mayfair Rd., Akron, OH 44312
- Stow License Bureau, 3039 Graham Rd., Stow, OH 44224
- Summit County Title Bureau – South, 3333 Massillon Rd, Suite 105, Akron, OH 44312
- Swan Hardware, 787 S. Arlington St., Akron, OH 44306
Purchasing a current dog license benefits your pet, as well as your community. Funds generated from the sale of dog licenses are redistributed to the Summit County Division of Animal Control to supply food, shelter, and vaccinations to abandoned animals.
For more information about dog registration in Summit County, please visit our website at http://FiscalOffice.summitoh.net or call 330-630-7226.