AKRON, OHIO – Summit County Fiscal Officer Kristen M. Scalise CPA, CFE would like to remind property owners that second half 2019 real estate taxes are due on Friday, July 17, 2020, with the exception of military personnel. Property taxes are deferred for military reservists who are on active duty. Applications can be obtained by calling 330-643-2641 or visiting our website at http://fiscaloffice.summitoh.net.
There are several convenient ways for property owners to make payment. Please note that due to COVID-19, some options have been modified to ensure the health and safety of taxpayers.
- In person: The Fiscal Office has suspended public access, but will temporarily open to accept in-person real estate tax payments on July 13 through July 17, from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Property owners who wish to make an in-person cash payment prior to July 13 can make an appointment by calling 330-643-2612 or 330-643-2029.
- By mail: Mailed payments must be U.S. postmarked by July 17, 2020 to avoid the statutory 10% penalty for late payment. A private meter is not valid for establishing the date of payment.
- At banks that participate in the Regional Tax Collection System: A list of participating banks is included on the tax bill. Some branches have closed their lobby to the public, but they will accept real estate tax payments through their drive-up window. Please contact the bank directly for questions about accessibility.
- Online or by phone: Tax bills can be paid online or by phone through a secure payment service provided by Official Payments Corporation. Taxpayers will need their parcel number on-hand. A nominal service fee will be charged by Official Payments Corporation. To pay taxes online or by phone, go to http://fiscaloffice.summitoh.net/index.php/on-line-tax-payments.
- At a MoneyGram location: In-person cash payments can be made through MoneyGram, a payment service offered at 35,000 locations nationwide. MoneyGram provides guaranteed same-day transactions. A nominal service fee will be charged by Official Payments Corporation. Please contact the local agent directly for store hours, restrictions, and closures due to COVID-19. To locate a MoneyGram center, visit www.OfficialPayments.com/locate or call 1-800-MoneyGram.
Assistance is available to taxpayers who have been impacted by COVID-19. The Tax Installment Payment (T.I.P.) Plan can help property owners who are unable to make payment by the due date. Enrollment allows property owners to avoid late payment penalties. The deadline to enroll in the T.I.P. Plan is the tax due date on July 17, 2020.
The program was previously offered only to owners of residential, owner-occupied property. On April 27, 2020, Fiscal Officer Scalise lifted the occupancy requirement and expanded eligibility to rental properties, agricultural properties, commercial parcels, and manufactured homes.
To qualify, parcels must be current on real estate taxes. First half 2019 real estate taxes must be paid in full prior to enrollment. Parcels with outstanding delinquencies, tax liens, or a current delinquent tax contract are ineligible.
Taxpayers who are interested in enrolling in the T.I.P. Plan must contact the Fiscal Office to establish a contract specific to their needs. By enrolling in the program, the taxpayer agrees to make monthly payments until November 15 of the year the plan was implemented. For more information about the T.I.P. Plan, please call 330-643-2869 or 330-643-2588.
Assistance is also available to property owners who have outstanding delinquent real estate taxes. The Delinquent Tax Payment Program offers help to those who have fallen behind on real estate tax payments. By entering into a written delinquent tax contract, property owners will establish a monthly payment and unpaid taxes will not be subject to further penalty or interest. For more information about the Delinquent Tax Payment Program or to schedule an in-person meeting to set up a payment contract, please call 330-643-2600.
Ohio law states that it is the responsibility of the property owner to obtain and pay their tax bill on time. To request a copy of your tax bill, please call (330)643-2588. Tax bills can also be downloaded from our website at http://FiscalOffice.summitoh.net.